Sunday, July 01, 2007

What have I done now.....

Ok, here is part of what has been distracting me so badly recently.

My new business, Fibre to Fabric.

I have been a stay at home Mom long enough that I should have done this sooner. It is something I have always wanted to do, and this most recent need to have a yarn store has been pestering me for about two years now.

I have decided to go with a blog shop for a while, to see how things go, I may end up with a "proper" shop if all goes well. I am familiar with the blog way of working now so it seemed to make the most sense.

It may well be a bit sparse and messy looking right now, I hope that changes soon. I may need to enroll some help to get things organized!

I have been busy scanning, photographing, editing, posting, enrolling, updating and basically re-inventing myself today after an exceptionally busy day yesterday too.

I certainly hope some of the people that check in here regularly will at least take a look and offer any thoughts on where they would like to see improvement.

I know the payment issue is a little bit odd right now, but once I get into the swing of things I want to switch to paypal buttons, I still have to figure out the tax problems there. In ontario we have the two taxes, and all of Canada pays one lot of those, and some other provinces also get to pay the GST. Once I can figure out the shipping bit I may be able to figure things out a bit better, at least from how they are now.

If anyone knows how to work that out for the paypal buttons please let me know. My mind is frazzled from everything else today and just doesn't seem to want to digest the Paypal info. I think my mind is just overloaded, and I need a break.

Yes I am stressing a little.

I aim to make the store comfortable to navigate and browse through, I also want to have that cozy yarn store feeling that is missing from big online yarn companies. I had thought about setting up a yahoo group as a place to meet and greet potential customers. I love yahoo groups, I have met a great deal of fantastic people though them, and now have met some of them in person too.

I only have a small amount of inventory right now, but once the week is back on track I will be ordering further items, so will have to go through all the categorizing again.

Anyway, I make it sound like I can't handle it, don't worry, I think I can!!!

My aim is to stay with laceweights although a few other things might just appear as if by magic that aren't lace weight related.
I will also venture into fibres and spinning accessories when I am feeling more comfortable in the skin of a yarnstore owner.

I feel that as a Canadian first and foremost I have to offer the finest lace products from this great land. Top of the list to me is Fidllesticks designs, so I have a great amount of patterns from Fiddlesticks, as well as Zephyr and some Country silk. I have some Lucy Neatby lace and shawl designs too.

Later this week I will hopefully get an order in with another top of the list, yarn company, now, come on, I know you know who I mean.......


They are a bit further away from me though so shipping will take longer.

Well anyway, i have to get back to work now. Sorting through all these fantastic designs is driving me crazy, I want to knit them all!

Wish me luck on what could be a crazy adventure.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Good Luck Kathy!!!

missalicefaye said...

Good luck with the store, Kathy! I look forward to seeing what lovelies you will have to tempt me! :)